Sunday, September 18, 2011

NHL 12 (PS3)





First Impressions

So on Tuesday I picked up my pre-ordered copy of NHL 12 from the local Gamestop (Bauer Boost pack and all!). Instead of doing a long, detailed, drawn out review of it, I feel it will be best to talk in bullet points. We all love Bullet points! Lets start with the Pro's and work our way to the Con's.

(FYI: I haven't even began to explore all of the different modes and settings this game has to offer. I've mostly stuck with what I already loved about the past games to see if they changed things for the better.)

Pro's


The presentation as a whole is phenomanl. From the cut scenes, to the replays, to the menus. They fixed a lot of old problems creating a much better overall experience. I couldn't be happier with the outcome of the presentation.

- Beginning with the Cover. It doesn't really stray from the covers of old but considering I'm not only a Stamkos and Tampa fan, but a fan of there newly designed jerseys.. I dig it. Nice "Icy" graphics, overall good feel to it.

- Introduction. It opens up with a beautifully long (albeit slightly choppy) sequence showing off the new Winter Classic mode, dropping you into the first face-off where you are automatically controlling the Penguins. A neat way to be introduced to the game.

- The newly designed menus are slick. Once again, similar to past years, but it has a fresh and updated feel.

- Winter Classic mode is a nice change of pace. The presentation leading up to hitting the ice and dropping the puck is engaging.

- The replays of the past, where it was literally random sequences that had almost zero impact on the game, are gone for a new system of quality plays, hits, and goals. It's nice to see them finally fix this.

- EASHL (That online mode we all have grown to love) has some minor tweaks that have made for a better flow. Drop-in is playable. You can have multiple Pro set-ups allowing you to switch from a forward to a d-man between games with just a simple click.

- The new progression system in the EASHL is easier to stay engaged (It's all in steps of 3, i.e. Amateur 2 of 3 < Amateur 3 of 3 < Pro 1 of 3).

- I initially felt weird because the game had a slower feel to it. I quickly realized this was because players actually have a sense of weight this time around. The players also feel larger, bringing that "North American" aspect to the arena.

- Hitting is a bit less over-the-top. With the better weight system, players bounce off and fall accordingly, occasionally loosing there helmet or a stick.

- Passing. It's amazing. They had to make the changes to NHL 11 from 10 and even though it was a bit broken in 11, they absolutely refined it for the best in 12. They are crisper, you don't find yourself holding down for too long and being screwed out of a decent pass, and the accuracy has been cleaned up.

- The shooting has been tightened. You don't have to rely on glitches, or trying to deke in close, as shooting has now become a reliable way of scoring.

- Which brings me to scoring. I haven't come across (yet!) ways to consistently keep putting the puck in the back of the net. Every goal scored feels fresh and well earned. In NHL 11 there was a lot of sliding the puck across for the one-timer and looping in from the corners to force the goalie out of position. They both seem less possible, the looping goal more-so than the one-timer BS.

- The goaltenders are much improved, less sporadic in terms of the puck shooting 5 feet up and the goalie flailing like a fish out water. The tend to make mistakes but they aren't too different to mistakes you see in an actual NHL game.

- Defense, much improved. The new "Intent" engine EA applied really makes offline modes playable. I might actually consider playing some Be a GM or Season Mode this time around.

- The end of period "Strategies" you are given actually have helpful tips. I consider myself to be pretty decent and yet I find myself curious of the suggested changes I should make from period to period.

(I'm sure there are more things that are simply slipping from my mind and if I remember I'll update later.)

Con's


- The Freezing. It has to STOP! The first thing I did once loading up the game was play some HUT (Hockey Ultimate Team) and after the 2nd round, during the 3rd, the game froze. Mid game! Upon restarting, I lost my progress in the tourney and had to start from round 1. Disappointing and I hope this isn't a reoccurring theme.

- HUT, I've already lost interest. Maybe it's just me, but the progression is annoying. It's really a slow and tedious process to build up to a decent team. This is why so many people gave up on it last year. If you aren't willing to spend real money, it's almost unplayable.

- Why won't they finally use a Red Wing for the cover? Please?

- The Bauer Booster Pack, although cool looking, is really pretty useless. Almost defeating the purpose of pre-ordering.

- The trading system is still broken. Very broken. I kicked off Be a GM with a trade of Hudler, White, and a pick for Drew Doughty. Really?

- Be a Pro still has some of the same old problems. For example, you are 10 games in and already have 20+ points with an unbelievable +/-, leading your team in all significant categories, yet you don't get PP, PK, or OT time?

Score


9/10


There is room for improvements, as usual, but another fantastic entry in the series that will be sure to prevent me from doing things I should be doing.

If you are ever up for a game, find me online: Justadoodle

No comments:

Post a Comment